Fresh Blackberry Tart

by Eugene on June 10, 2009 · 15 comments

low carb atkins friendly blackberry tart

What’s summer without pie? Nothing, that’s what.

In lieu of losing an entire season to a looser waistband, I whipped up this tart out of blackberries, one of nature’s lowest carb fruits. Clocking in 6 net carbs a serving (including crust), each slice also packs 8 grams of protein and three grams of healthy Omega-6 fatty acids. And this is a dessert?

low carb blackberry pie cobbler tart

Ingredients

• 1 pie crust
  • 22 oz. fresh blackberries
  • 2/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 packets unflavored gelatin
  • 1/8 tsp. salt

Wash the blackberries, then put half in a sauce pan on medium heat with water, sweetener, and salt. Let simmer for 5 or so minutes, until berries start to turn red and juice darkens.
Add gelatin while stirring mixture and continue stirring until powder is completely dissolved. Add remaining berries, stir to coat with juice, then pour into pie crust.
Tip: To avoid clumps, add gelatin a small amount at a time, stirring in each addition in fully before proceeding.
Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until berries set and pie is cool throughout.
Makes 8 servings. 256 calories and 6 net carbs per serving.
blackberry filling

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Mediterranean Diet Blog June 11, 2009 at 11:35 am

Ii looks fantastic, and I know it tastes fantastic, also! I just love summer pies with blackberries, raspberries..Thank for the recipe.

2 Lauren B June 12, 2009 at 7:09 am

That tart looks so lovely! Look at those fresh berries. I’ve been looking for a good pie crust, so hopefully this version you have here is as good as it looks!

3 Scotts@sterlingsprin June 12, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Grrreat recipe. Glad you’re still cooking and blogging.
Great pictures as usual.

4 tammyclinch June 16, 2009 at 8:40 am

how manynet carbs is the pie crust only? i would like to make it and fill it with something different

5 Diet-to-Go June 19, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Omg, those berries looks FABULOUS and it’s making my mouth water. I did not know blackberries were so low in carbs — that’s a great piece of information, because I love them. Even over strawberries and raspberries.

The only sad thing is the season is so short for them. Frozen is just not the same, although in January it doesn’t really matter.

I’ll be trying this recipe out this weekend. Thanks!

6 Dawn (foodnfit) July 13, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Wow! This looks so delicious! :)

7 Diet-to-Go July 14, 2009 at 12:59 pm

This looks like an excellent recipe! I have blackberries growing in my yard, and had been looking for something yummy to do with them. I didn’t know they were low carb, so they even fit in well with my diet! Can you do more recipies using berries soon? Thanks!

8 Kiki October 4, 2009 at 9:35 am

I made it and it was awesome!!! Thanks.

9 Eugene October 4, 2009 at 10:22 am

Kiki, that looks great! I’m so glad that you liked it. I actually have a strawberry-rhubarb pie recipe I’ve been needing to post up for a while now, but life has been getting in the way.

Thanks for visiting!

10 LowCarbChic October 28, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I know I’m slow sometimes,and I work wayyyyy to much,but I just realized you are Lowcarbist.com……That is awesome!!!! Please forgive me…LOL…I think your the best!!!!! I seen lowcarbist,and KIKI..I seen something different…

11 Alisa-Foodista June 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

Mmmm…I’d love to sink my teeth into this wonderful pie! Your photos are really wonderful!

12 Jeaneen November 4, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Another fabulous recipe! I can’t wait to use the pie crust recipe to make mini-tarts for the holidays.

13 Batya Wittenberg May 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

I made this pie last week and it is AMAZING. And I am definitely keeping your crust recipe for future use. Thank you for putting these up!

14 Linda July 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Just made the pie waiting for it to cool!