Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Eugene on January 14, 2009 · 29 comments

Low-carb desserts are. not. easy. Sure, making them isn’t all that hard, but recipes to create things that bear more than a passing resemblance to their namesakes are not easily found. That hurdle is what kept the beau and I locked in the kitchen last weekend, baking, analyzing, and brainstorming. And after two days of experiments–many failed and a few successful–I exhaustedly present to you our take on the low-carb chocolate chip cookie.

chocolate chip cookie low carb

Now this isn’t a catchall recipe, not that any chocolate chip recipe could be. Although I prefer chewy cookies, one day (maybe after low-carb shortbread, pecan sandies, grasshoppers, macaroons, and, dear God, cookie cakes) I’ll come back and find a good crunchy variation. Until then, these will be more than enough for me.

low carb chocolate chip cookies

Ingredients

Tip: If you’re willing to shoulder a few extra carbs in the name of authenticity, normal 70% chocolate lends the cookies a richer flavor.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix together dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients and mix again. If the dough seems too wet, let it sit for 5 minutes.

low carb cookie dough

Form into balls and press onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Don’t worry if it seems too sticky; the wet texture should be that of an oatmeal cookie.

Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until cookies begin to turn golden brown. Slide a spatula under each one to ensure a clean break, then let cool for 5-10 minutes.

low carb chocolate chip cookie

Makes 16 cookies. 171 calories and 1.3 net carbs per cookie.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

1 LowCarbChic January 15, 2009 at 5:43 am

These looks soooo good!

2 Maggie January 16, 2009 at 2:06 pm

My husband is doing low carb and will love these! You have a great site.

3 Charlie Hills February 2, 2009 at 8:17 pm

The problem for me is that if they really are good, I’ll eat forty of them.

*sigh*

Guess I’m still on the lookout for the zero-calorie cookie.

4 Tree February 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

yum, those look incredible.. I will have to try them!!

5 Terri Weidman February 21, 2009 at 8:20 am

Eugene,
These look fantastic. We are cookie lovers in my house, and I can have these when the guys are making theirs. Where did you find your sugar free vanilla syrup?

6 Eugene February 21, 2009 at 8:24 am

Terri, I usually buy mine from the coffee aisle of my grocery store, but you can also find it in World Market or sometimes T.J. Max.

7 Matt August 20, 2009 at 7:36 am

Has anybody actully tried these cookies? I’m a huge chocolate chip fan, and these look pretty healthy….just wondering if these are any good?

8 Kiki September 28, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I love you! Choco cookies and sooo low carb. Thanks for the recipe.

9 Jessica November 3, 2009 at 2:32 am

Its very easy and delicious, I made 3 substitutions based on whatever I have in the kitchen:
Semi sweet chocolate chips for sugar free chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence for 1/4 cup sugar-free vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon of honey for 1/4 cup granulated splenda

The cookies came out wonderful. Thank you so much for the recipe!

10 Diana January 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Add to you recipe, for diabetics. 1/4 tsp. cream of tarter. Instead of splenda, use the sugar free brown sugar, and one tblsp. of fiber powder, the fiber will break down the carb grams and the cream of tarter, will give them stability. I buy the syrup at a grocery and resturant supply store, cash n carry. Oh yea!, you can also use unsweented carob choclate chips, they are extremly good, their not imitation choclate.

11 cookingchic November 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm

EEEWWW!!! They look horrible! But they taste AMAZING!!!!! I LOVE this recipe and I make it ALL THE TIME!!!! thank you! :) I love cooking!

12 Margaret January 11, 2011 at 11:30 am

You state net carbs are 1.3 per cookie, what would the actual carb per cookie be.
Thanks

13 Angie May 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm

These cookies are awesome!!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

14 Shell June 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I’ve made these about four times now… Hardest thing for my hubby on a low carb diet was no cookies! Tried them with honey… Too sweet, with splenda… blah aftertaste… Have them in the oven right now and used stevia (powdered) so we’ll see. Love love love this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

15 mary n August 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm

These cookies are AWESOME !!! I used white chocolate sugar free syrup . I didn’t have any vanilla syrup. They still taste awesome.

16 Sandy August 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I used 2 parts almond flour, 1 part carbquik, these turned out great!

17 melissa September 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I made these but are really dry..i followed the recipe. Did anyone else make these and they turned out dry? thanks!

18 Roslyn March 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Eugene,
Your cookies are delicious and just fill a real need for a treat sometimes. I wish you were still adding to your recipes. My husband and I LOVE this recipe.

19 Lesa June 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Unfortunate that I can’t Pin this post or I’d be back to check out more. :/

20 martha June 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm

these were wonderful! I kept my cookies round and shorted my baking time to 11 minutes to keep them chewy. They were hard to stop eating…. Just like any good chocolate chip cookie should be!

21 Esther July 20, 2012 at 12:04 am

Hi, I was wondering if the vanilla syrup is really needed in this recipe? I don’t have any, but I would love to try this recipe out tonight. I found your recipe through another person’s blog, and they didn’t mention the vanilla syrup at all, so I’m wondering if the cookies will be fine without it. Thanks! :)

22 Melissa August 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I tried making these last night. Be sure to press them into cookie shapes. I forgot and ended up with cookie balls. Still delicious, but awkward to eat. I was pleasantly surprised by these, and I plan on making them again. I think the sugar-free brown sugar substitution sounds worth trying.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s a nice treat when you’re on a low-carb diet. I also like that it is a recipe I can make for my gluten-free friends and family to enjoy.

23 al October 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I have a blog about my weight loss journey and how I did it and keep doing it, with advice and tips. It is based on low carbs. I love your site because it inspires me. Thanks! Mine is skinny-rules.com

24 Nick November 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I just tried this recipe, and the consistency of the cookies was pretty spongy. I used honey instead of the sugar-substitute, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly as written. I wasn’t a fan of the end result, and ended up throwing them out.

I guess the low-carb cookie will never actually be the substitute we all want it to be, but thanks for the recipe nonetheless! =)

25 Jessica November 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

my cookies turned out wonderful! I mixed the butter and sugar substitute first then added one egg. after that I incorporated the sugar free vanilla syrup. once all the wet ingredients were mixed together well i added all the dry ingredients (i also used two parts almond flour and one part low carb flour). after the dough forms added the chocolate chips and nuts. 11 minutes later i had delicious cookies!

26 Amanda December 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This is a great recipie but I used a good bit more splenda and I used soy flour instead of almond flour! (better texture, but tastes a little funny) :)

27 Patricia December 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I tried these tonight and they were delicious.I used cream of tartar as someone else suggested. I also used splenda brown sugar and 1/2 cup of regular chocolate chips ,they added more richness and my family loved them.

28 Alica February 1, 2013 at 11:48 am

These cookies are fabulous!!!! I found that the mix was REALLY runny so I added a tbsp of cocoa. It was then too dry so I added a bit of almond milk. I didn’t use the sugar liquid. I put a bit extra sweetener in it :)